Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Taking Care of Business

Grace Bonney, founder of Design*Sponge, shares some intriguing tips on how to handle prejudice faced as a woman in business on Slate's BizBox blog.

Design*Sponge is one of those blogs that I've bumped up against many times but only recently started reading regularly ... and I am so glad I have.

I find that many (certainly not all or even most, but many) art- and design-related blogs come across as stuffy, or snobby, or self-absorbed, even when it's clear that's not the author's intention at all (please don't think this means you, because I'm sure it doesn't). I know it's not easy to write to an unseen audience, to really be yourself, particularly when you desperately want those unseen people to like you and comment, and come back and keep coming back, and maybe even buy stuff... and because I am constantly struggling not to sound stuffy in my own writing, I am almost always willing to move right past the words to the content. But Grace manages to pull it off so that there is nothing to move past - the writing is fun, casual, and cheerful, and, yep, refreshing - and it never interferes with the content.

No comments: