Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Story Behind the Name

I've been called many things in my life... most of them good, yes, but "RadioGirl" is one of the few I picked myself. It is derived from my actual name, pre-marriage. One day, in one of those flashes of amazement that happens to me frequently, seeing something that has been right in front of my face for a long time, I realized that my initials were A.M.F.M. (of course, I deserve a little lenience, because it is my confirmation name that added the middle "M," so I didn't grow up with these intials and it's not like I really could have noticed it all that much earlier than I did).

There's also a strong connection to actual radio broadcasting in my family's story, and - my mother says - to my own existence.

So, in spite of the fact that I, myself, worked in television for many years, but never in radio, the name fits well, my superhero alter ego.

1 comment:

Claire said...

This is so cool - I'd been wondering about your name... I think names are so important - on so many levels... I picked Anna for my alter ego as it's a pretty name(!) and it's a palindrome (word spelled the same front and back)- something I vividly remember discovering as a kid and then spending ages trying to find as many as possible: madam, level, tot, nun...