Tuesday, January 22, 2008

My Kind of Business Trip, or "Is This Tax-Deductible?"

What we did with a few hours to spare:

VA Aquarium - Turtle Says Hello
Made new friends...

VA Aquarium - JellyFish
...studied other lifeforms...

VA Aquarium - School of Fish
...got studied by other lifeforms...

VA Aquarium - Old Turtle
...made another new friend...

VA Aquarium - Shark
...avoided making some other friends, but did become nodding acquaintances...

VA Aquarium - Octopus
...and conducted artistic research. (The business part of a lovely cross-town trip.)

Oh, and learned how to work the video part of the digital camera. Maybe I'll figure out how to edit it next, and share that, cause there's something special about an octopus moving. A bit creepy, a bit endearing.

What a great way to spend time we didn't know we would have.

(Just for the record, all of these shots were taken without a flash in less-than-ideal lighting conditions. Not bad for a little Canon PowerShot (A550). That first one's a bit blurry, but how could I resist sharing that facial expression?)

7 comments:

Merisi said...

Vow, I am impressed that you managed to shoot these pictures with a flash. Wouldn't have thought that it worked against the glass. I am not brave enough for flash, everytime I use it, it spoils the picture, simply beyond me.
(The duck pictures were my very first pictures with my new camera - in the meantime I've learned that there'd have been a "sports mode" for such images. Next pond!)

paintandink said...

Glass? What glass? We were swimming! Aha, sorry, couldn't help myself... Actually I took these pictures without a flash, and the aquarium was almost totally dark. Most of the photos came out blurry, but a few turned out very nicely.

Claire said...

awesome pictures! i sorry, though, i simply cannot see how an octopus is 'endearing'!! :o)

CaBaCuRl said...

Thanks for not completely abandoning me, as I disappeared into a cave for a while.Crikey, i'm loving this sunshine!Lots to catch up on your blog, but i Love your photo of the gerbras!

Barbara said...

Wow Alison, too bad the Dr said scuba diving is out. We will have to snorkel ?
Love
Mom

Pam Aries said...

Cool! When you learn the video part ..let me know. I read my instructions..but...hah!

paintandink said...

Thanks all! Sorry about the lack of video sharing ... bowled over by a really bad cold, but soon, I hope, soon, I'll figure the editing out. You may have to wait until I get back from certain islands in the Pacific Ocean, though.

And, Claire, I didn't believe it, either, until I was up close and personal. Is personal the right word?