Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Good Stuff

A little bit of this:


Followed by a little bit of this:


That's right, folks, I'm hitting the road again. Except this time, I'm flying.

It's hard to drive to Hawaii.

My mother and I are going to Honolulu for a week, then it's back to Reno for a few days at Mom's house, and possibly a little skiing (if my poor battered immune system can handle it by then, but I'm sure a few days in Hawaii will perk me right back up again).

This handy MacBook (ah, glorious computer, how I loooooooove you) might make it possible for me to check in from time to time, and I'll be back in time to wish you a Happy Valentine's Day, but in the meantime, let me be the first to wish you the best and happiest of Groundhog Days.* It's my favorite day of the year. I'll be three times eleven.

Before I go, let me share with you two of my favoritest Internet discoveries of the week:

Goodreads, thanks to Jeannine of art*play*possibility, one of the nicest people I've met in Virginia. You can list the books you've read, are reading, or want to read; review books; look at other people's reading lists; and so on. It feels much more personal and less snarky than Amazon reviews can be. So far, it doesn't seem to have a "since you liked this, you might like that" recommendation system or a "neighbors" feature (like last.fm does), but I'm still quite pleased to be part of it.

Notes From the Universe, thanks to the marvelous iHanna. I've received two notes so far and I think they're pretty darn cool.

Also, before I wrap this up, I'd like to give a birthday shout-out to Corey of Tongue in Cheek Antiques, whose birthday is only two days after mine. If you've never been to her blog, go, go go. Corey is someone who really knows how to live. I hope it's a beautiful day for you, Corey.

All right, time for me to go tie up loose pre-vacation ends, like paying bills, and head out for a pre-birthday dinner with my husband. As always, I am wishing you my very best


* Groundhog Day is my father's favorite movie. He watches it every February 2nd, possibly before he even calls to wish me happy birthday, but I don't mind, because I have to admit that Punxutawney Phil IS pretty charming.

5 comments:

Catharina said...

I hope you have a great trip! I won't say Happy Birthday yet (some people say it's bad luck to say it early), but I'll be thinking it on February 2nd!

Crashdummie said...

Awwwwwwww you have a wonderful vacation Al, but remember you'll be utterly missed! How am i supposed to go on without you wise advises and you insights`?

Lots of hugz

Anonymous said...

Have a really wonderful trip and a really wonderful birthday.
Carolyn x
http://willowhouse.typepad.com

Prêt à Voyager said...

First of all, happy groundhog day! Happy travels!...I'll see you making maps in Bmore!

Anne

Anonymous said...

Hope you are having a **wonderful** trip thus far!

Can't wait to hook up for a cup of coffee and a chat when you get back!

Happiest of birthdays to you (how can you have a bad birthday when you are in Hawaii??).

:) :) :)