Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Cherry-Picking #7: Steve? It's Your Wedding Day!

Today's story is one of the funnier things that happened to me when I worked on A Wedding Story, and it's all in what wasn't said.

The wedding was at the Venetian in Las Vegas (and both the crew and wedding party were staying there as well).

The groom's name was Steve.

As an associate producer, it was my job to get footage of the groom getting ready for the wedding.

So I called Steve up in the morning to find out when we should meet him.

"Hi, Steve?"

"Yeah?"

"It's Alison."

(pause) "Uh, hi?"

"Hi! Just checking to see when you're going to start getting ready for the wedding?"

(longer pause) "The wedding?"

"Um, yeah, your wedding. Today?"

(another long pause) "What?"

"You are getting married today, right?"

(no pause at all). "No."

(long pause on my part) "This is Steve, right?"

"Yes."

"Steve Smith?"

"No, this is Steve Jones."

Wrong room. Wrong Steve.

***

Here's the conversation as I interpreted it after we hung up:


"Hi, Steve?"

"Yeah?"

"It's Alison."

(pause: Alison. Alison. I don't remember meeting an Alison. But I was pretty wasted.) "Uh, hi?"

"Hi! Just checking to see when you're going to start getting ready for the wedding?"

(longer pause: Wedding? The wedding? ) "The wedding?"

"Um, yeah, your wedding. Today?"

(another long pause: My wedding? My wedding! Holy &#%@$! What happened last night? Oh, god, I've always heard bad stories about Vegas. Mama told me not to come.) "What?"

"You are getting married today, right?"

(no pause at all). "No."

(long pause on my part: Is this some kind of joke by his groomsmen? Or did the bride and groom have a fight? I do NOT want to call the producer and tell her the wedding has been called off.) "This is Steve, right?"

"Yes."

(This cannot be happening to me. What do I do?) "Steve Smith?"

"No, this is Steve Jones."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL!

I bet he was even more confused and frightened initially, by that phone call, than you were...

Thanks for the laugh!