Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I'm not so well-traveled as I thought...

... although I can say some pretty naughty words, if nothing else, in a surprising number of languages.

Found this map generator at the World 66 World Travel Guide (via this Flickr user) and all of a sudden, I've really got this urge to go get that passport issue fixed (as in, I've never updated it with my married name, not to mention the fact that it's falling to pieces). Here I prided myself on my vast world travels, and in reality, there's not nearly as much red as I had imagined there would be (don't let all that red over in Asia fool you... I can't really think of myself as having been to China, even though I was in Hong Kong. If I thought I could get away with it, I would, on the other hand, put a little red dot in Japan, where I spent eleven hours in the airport even though I never actually saw any of the country. I think eleven hours is a pretty significant experience, no? As for Canada, I've been to Toronto and Sudbury, Ontario, but that hardly justifies half of the Arctic Circle turning red. On the other hand, I really have been to all four corners of the continental U.S., and a significant portion of the land in between*).




If I could go anywhere in the world tomorrow, with no worries about, you know, money, I think I'd be off to Australia (where I could say hi to CabaCurl) and New Zealand, just to balance things out a bit. Gonna have to find a way to make that happen. And then I'd be off to Sweden to say hello to some of my favorite bloggers... and then all over Europe to visit so many of my other favorite bloggers, who collectively bring incredible amounts of fun and joy into the world and generally make it a better place. (Along with quite a few bloggers here in the U.S., whom I haven't forgotten). And then I'd start exploring the rest of the world...

*I no longer call the midwest the "fly-over states," but the "drive-through states." Although, actually, there are a few of them where I'd gladly stay for a while, like South Dakota. Did I tell you how beautiful it is? It's beautiful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, this travelling girl just got back from a trip to mexico!! you shoulg fet a new passport and start collecting new country stamps. :) 11 hrs on an airport you poor thing and that sure counts! which means i've been to cairo/egypt as well! hehe

Anonymous said...

I think 11 hours counts for a red dot.
Carolyn
http://willowhouse.typepad.com

Anonymous said...

It's good to catch up with you, at long last...
Nowadays, I'd much rather travel by car - though at current gas prices, I'm not even too sure about that...but if money were no object, I might throw caution to the wind, and follow a similar itinerary.

Anonymous said...

I'd go with you any day!