Friday, November 02, 2007

Spring into Fall

Outside our living room

It may be a pity, but I don't look out the side window of our living room often. I open the drapes every day, but I usually am actually looking at the drapes, since they have an unfortunate tendency to come crashing down on my head, followed by the curtain rod, which may be a cheap Ikea curtain rod, but hurts no less when it comes into my skull at three times the speed of sound. You can see why proper vigilance is necessary when opening the drapes.

So I was not a little surprised, and very excited, when, yesterday, overcome by the glory of the beautiful, wonderful, lusciously warm, one-last-summer-fling weather, I flung all the windows open and realized that one of our ubiquitous overgrown bushes on the side of our house was quietly celebrating in its own way.

I haven't left the house yet today, but I am under the impression from those stern weathercasters that it is much, much colder, and I certainly haven't seen the sun, even though my studio is in the sunniest corner of the house. And I'm not terribly sad about that, because summer has been a houseguest much longer than usual. But I'm glad I actually stopped for a moment yesterday and really appreciated the niceness of it all.

This weekend, Al and I are thinking of taking a jaunt into the Shenandoah Valley in the hopes of seeing some fall foliage and to welcome Fall, who has been running a little late and a little disheveled and a little scatter-brained, and just because of that, is a kindred spirit of mine.

Shenandoah 4 Winding Road

Shenandoah 3 Tree

Shenandoah 2

Yesterday was the fifth anniversary of the first full day of my first road trip, and these photographs are from that first day. I took the photos from Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park, a place I just happened to spot on the map and decided to drive through on a whim, instead of covering the same distance on the Interstate. Shenandoah is such a charming word, isn't it?

As always, these photographs can't even begin to do it justice. I can't remember what I did last week, but I can remember the other people I saw on that road; the things I didn't take photographs of, but should have; the exact feeling of awe that overcame me when I realized how lucky I was to be in such a beautiful place. It was stunning. Glorious. Magnificent.

I hope your day is just as magnificent today.

Happy Fall, Happy Day of the Dead, Happy All Soul's Day, Happy November.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy everything to you! Glorious photographs as ever, actually Alison I wonder if you can help at all? My youngest son has taken a few photographs that he thinks might make good notebook covers etc and was thinking about maybe opening a Cafepress shop - any advice would be appreciated.

paintandink said...

Thank you, Carolyn!

I'd be happy to offer advice! I'll send an email to the address on your web site but if you don't get it, let me know.

- Alison

kate said...

I hope the leaf colours are beautiful there. Our leaves have fallen weeks ago and fall has settled in with a vengeance. Or maybe I should be saying winter! Your photographs are beautiful.

Crashdummie said...

Omg you always manage to take such amazing nature pics Alison!

Love them :)

Anonymous said...

Glorious! The crown of Autumn.